Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Much Better

The second day of camp was much better than the first. Kevin followed his own advice and split everyone up according to age group. I was with the four year old to six year old children. Thank goodness I had some games prepared. Even with all my preparation, the kids were easily bored, shy, and a little unenthusiastic. A dance game I was 90% sure they'd love was the game they 100% hated. Go figure. Here's another thing to keep in mind: with these young ones, it's best to keep the games as simple as possible. They don't really like strategic games (not that I had any) or games where you put yourself out there too much (like the dance game). The really liked Wonder Ball, though, and the impromptu soccer game was the one they liked the best. Well, mostly. A couple of them wandered over to the teen group, who had started an impromptu volleyball circle. At the end of the day when we sat down on the picnic table to cool down and I started the "Favorites" game, most of the kids said they enjoyed volleyball the best. One boy didn't even join in, he just watched! And he still said volleyball was his favorite. Oh, well. I still have to come up with more games, and I've gone online in search of some. Kind of last minute, I know...but I have an hour tomorrow morning as well to perfect them. Also, Kevin told me that I'll also have the teens so, in his words, "You won't be by yourself with the kids." I had five of them yesterday! That's not very many, and I got along just fine. A couple more are supposed to show up tomorrow, but I'm not even sure if they're in my age group. Whatever, I'm just gonna ignore them and they can participate however they like while we play little kid games. Actually, I'm worried they'll be more of a distraction than anything else. Again, oh well. I had a vision that Kevin went to Sean and told him I'm better off at Noyes. There's dreaming for you.


Blossoming children make me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment