Friday, January 14, 2011

Laptop Deficiencies



So, got my laptop back in August, a couple weeks before school started. I thought it was the greatest thing ever. I could go on the Internet whenever I wanted- type something up...whenever I wanted! I didn't have to wait for the main computer of the house when it was so often occupied by my little brothers. My senior year of high school, I took a class called Western Civ. We had a big paper due, and I do admit I experienced a great amount of procastination. However, I feel like if I was able to do an all-nighter like my fellow classmates (believe me, everyone admitted to it), I would have been better off. When the boy sitting behind me said he managed to type out eight pages, I strained my ears for the girl's reaction (for that was the number of pages I had to go to bed with) and my heart sank when she whispered, "That's it?" Anyway, I could have really benefited from having my own laptop earlier in the game. I also made it apparent to my parents that I would have also benefited from a desk- a proper place to study besides the noisy kitchen or my bed. Well, it is what it is, and now that I'm in college I have a desk, full access to a library, and a laptop! And my grades have vastly improved since high school. If I was still in high school with these grades, I would have made the gold card along with all the other smarties in my grade. That's why when I grow up, I'm going to make sure that my children have the best education I can provide for them. But, anywho, I'm off subject again. Laptops are great, but they're not perfect. A whole handfull of my college friends, including me, have had difficulties controling their laptops. With me, my best friend my high school sent me a bunch of videos from our Ohio school trip via Skype, and the things gave me a virus! Of course, I didn't know it was a virus at the time- all I did know was that my computer was acting faulty. I tried to explain to my mother (who's kinda good with computers), but she didn't really understand what was happening either. Plus, there was no Bestbuy I could take a ride to so they could check it out...thanks a lot Milford Mall. I had to pay $200 for Bestbuy in the Meridan Mall (the one closest to my hometown) to fix my laptop. And today, I can't even go on friggin Farmville to harvest my cranberries or watch "Alice in Wonderland" without the DVD program skipping. I tried to update the thing three times and the whole laptop would freeze before I restarted it all over again. It became such a problem I came out here to use the family computer (good thing I remember my passwords) to finally harvest my crops, and now they're telling me Farmville is down (thankfully it was AFTER I harvested). What is there to reconstruct? From what we see here, I really do have to take a technology class at good ole SCSU. I'm actually missing sleeping in my dorm, eating in the dining hall (a little), going to class, laughing with my room and floormates, meeting Kara and Caitie for movie night, heading to the mall with Michelle...the only thing that would make this perfect is to guarentee I have an on-campus job to earn some money I desperately need. On top of that, I feel like I will have barely any free time once back on campus, and I'm really worried about my sleeping patterns and how my roomies will probably force me to take naps in the middle of the day when I should be doing homework or exercising. I guess sleeping is better than eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment