Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Ok, here we go

Well, I filled out the profile, I've added a picture, and I'm pretty sure I don't have anything more to fill out. Now, onto the blogging... why am I a diverse girl? First of all, I'm from a million backgrounds: I cannot ever remember them all, and it's awkward asking my biological mother in the few times I get to see her. For the longest time... years... I thought I was Italian, but I'm not! Not even 5%! (I'm 5% French apparently). After being crushed by my mother who acted confused I'd even think I was Italian, I started lying to people. And I lied to myself, too. I couldn't believe I was not Italian. My mother had clearly made a mistake and had forgotten all of my father's mother's side was Italian, or something like that. Then one day I decided to wake up and just say I wasn't Italian, but my family was (my adopted family that is). As it was, this caused confusion among people and always intrigued them to ask questions. And once again I would have to say that I was adopted. Tired of this unwanted awkwardness, I later simply said, "I'm not REALLY Italian, but I consider myself to be." This was much more accepted, and to my disbelief, people actually related to what I was saying. My first semester of college, the first club I joined was People to People, a club that promotes diversity and makes the International students more comfortable on campus, and it was full of people who questioned their true backgrounds, just as I did. Now when people ask me what I am, I say, "mostly Lithuanian, but I consider myself Italian." And that's okay. The reality is that there are many parts to me, to everyone, and that's what makes me, us, diverse. What makes me unique is my diverse ideas, and in turn the diverse goals I want to achieve by the time I am forced to leave this Earth. There are so many, and throughout this blog, I will detail them all and take you through my life as a struggling college student, and maybe you will even be able to witness my triumph when I break into the fashion world, which I try to do a little bit every day. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment