Thursday, January 13, 2011

Where Does my Knowledge Come From?

I almost didn't write today! I think of that as almost a good thing because it meant I was busy today and late last night I promised myself not to be such a lazy ass. But ultimately it would be a bad thing because I also promised myself that I would write on this blog every day. When I was in middle school, my mother subscribed me to a magazine with a giant G and L on the cover. GL for short, obviously, but at that age (even though in small print it revealed the real name) I did not know it actually stood for Girl's Life. When I found out this little scrap of news, I was revolted...Girl's Life? Ew, it just sounded wrong in my ears. I wanted more grown up magazines like Teen or Cosmo Girl. Girl's Life did have little fashion spreads, but not too many to be taken seriously, and the girls didn't look like role models to me. Once I started to get Teen Vogue, I discovered a whole new world with runways and photo shoots and these weird outfits I could never see myself wearing. Then I got my own TV, and I started watching America's Next Top Model, the best reality TV show out there. And I actually started paying attention to celebrities and what they looked like. In history at school, I learned about how people from the past wore different clothing from me and in movies I would actually pay attention to what the actors wore. I even started watching Runway, and I was impressed by the designers who made all the fabulous clothes. It's all about proportions, patterns, and lengths. The magazine I read now, Seventeen, is amazing. Every few months I am so excited to have it come in the mail, and I go to Vogue.it, Abbeydawn.com, and other fashion websites to explore what's out there. This is why it's so easy to imagine myself going to fashion shows, researching, and interviewing in order to write an awesome spread in some magazine about what's new for the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment