Monday, January 10, 2011

Late One Night...

...I decided to create a blog. I mean, probably only my friends and possibly my family (when they're not busy) will end up reading this, and who knows if I'll even be able to find this page again? I'm horrible with computers... in fact, with this browser I can't even figure out how to bookmark this page! But, I think with determination I'll figure it out, like I often do (after many frustrating minutes). So, my name is Mary Pellin. I'm from the small town of Portland, Connecticut, which I'm sure most all have never heard of (unless of course "you" happens to be a person who already knows me). I attend Southern Connecticut State University. I'm a freshman: Journalism major. When I grow up, I want to work for a magazine writing fashion articles and traveling the world. Right now, I'm broke. I barely have enough to pay for text books for the upcoming semester, if that. They really are expensive. I read an article today about a woman named Emily Weiss, who is a fashion assistant who works for Vogue. It was more like a detailed collection of what she wore to work, and I fell in love all over again. This love is the strongest I've yet to feel: the aching desire to finally (and I'm only a freshman) to be done with college and able to spring myself into the real world. By the time I graduate, I will have worked another 3 summers for the camp in my town, hopefully will have a car which I can drive to Middletown to work at a moderate fashion store such as Marshals so I can become more familiar with brands and become more experienced with dressing people. Right now, I can only dress myself and my body type. Since I'm poor, I literally pull out all my accessories and search recklessly through my closet for outfit possibilities. I'm inspired by my world: music videos, magazine articles, story books, old movies. For English 111, I actually made a whole power point detailing style and fashion from the 1920s and how you do not need the perfect clothing brands and tons of cash to be fashionable. To me, fashionable means original. Like Ke$ha. And Katy Perry. And who can forget Lady Gaga? And one day I hope to write articles about people who do just that, and continue to express myself through my outfits. And maybe I'll inspire blog addicts like you (or maybe not even blog addicts) to become the new generation of fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment